Ep 7: Is Passion Enough?Feb 28, 2023
Hello my friends! For today’s episode, I will be talking about finding the balance between passions and paychecks, the sustainability of passion, and transitioning between careers. I will also get into the challenges that we face when following our passions alone, the passion tax, and I answer some listener questions.
Let’s delve in!
In this Episode You’ll Learn:
- [01:24] The current shift towards following our passions.
- [02:30] Should we prioritize passions at work?
- [03:48] Is passion sustainable?
- [04:45] Transitioning careers.
- [06:43] The implications for our sense of self.
- [07:32] The passion tax.
- [08:40] Swap passion for purpose.
- [10:11] Passion diversity outside of work.
- [11:06] Check our mindsets.
- [12:16] “I’ve just exited from my company, so I don’t need to make money. Can I focus on passion alone?”
- [13:05] “What’s the difference between passion and purpose?”
- [14:50] “How do you know which passions to keep as a hobby and which ones you could potentially build a career around?”
- “Following your passions can be challenging and they can have us incur significant financial risk.” [03:10]
- “I don’t believe that passion alone gets all of us to where we want to go.” [08:35]
- “When we make work our only source of passion, we end up living one-dimensionally.” [10:56]
The Trouble with Passion, by Erin Cech
Connect with Amina AlTai